Kenwyn C. Meats, RBP, FBCA
Sue Loomis, FBCA, President of the BCA (left) presenting Kenwyn C. Meats, RBP, FBCA with Fellowship at BIOCOMM 2018 in Savannah, Georgia
Kenwyn C. Meats, RBP has been an outstanding member of BCA for close to four decades and has participated at the Chapter, Regional, National, and international levels of the Association serving on many committees and elected positions. He was especially effective serving on the Board of Registry. Ken has worked tirelessly providing digital a/v support at many of our recent BIOCOMM meetings. He is chiefly responsible for the recording of the Scientific Program and for all post-production of the individual presentations. He also handled preparing the digital video presentations for posting onto the BCA web site. This process has proven to be a highly valued asset for BCA Members, especially those unable to attend BIOCOMM in person. Ken has readily offered to assist BCA with his many talents, and his efforts are always par excellence!
For better than forty years Ken has been an accomplished and versatile biocommunicator with expert skills in Photography, Graphic Design, Audio, Multimedia Project Management and AV Production in the biomedical arena.
With strong Adobe Creative Suite skills in either a Mac or Windows environment, Ken’s specialty is making his clients look and sound good. He was profiled in a Hospital News and Photolife following his presentation on The History of Medical Photography during the Contact 2006 Photography Festival. He has displayed his photography a number of times, including in art shows at the University of Toronto; Till We Have Faces, at the Toronto School of Theology and Peace and Reconciliation during Refresh 2009, at Wycliffe College.
• Photographer, Designer & AV Tech (2010-Present)
Providing photographic, design and event support to organizations in the Toronto area and southern Ontario. Sample Clients: Ontario Bethel Camp, Rodney ON: Website manager, Audio & AV support for events. BioCommunications Association: Manage BioCommunications YouTube Channel Royal Ontario Museum Board of Governors: Event Photography The Dorothy Ley Hospice, Etobicoke, ON: Design & Photography Gluckstein and Associates, Toronto, ON.
- Mount Sinai Hospital 1988-2009
Senior Manager, Graphics and New Media (2005 – 2009)
Responsible for the smooth running of Graphics and New Media and Printing, two cost recovery departments providing services to the Hospital, Hospital Foundation and the Research Institute. Increased the volume of work through Graphics and New Media, leading to a growth from a staff of three to a staff of eight consisting of 4 designers and photographers, a videographer and video conferencing specialist, a production coordinator and a receptionist. Led the implementation of the rebranding initiative “saving the Hospital hundreds of thousands of dollars and enhancing our presence.”* This included the development of a consistent look and feel for documentation within the institution and, working with various departments and vendors, the development of updated stationery and forms using the new graphic brand.
* Senior VP Communications and Marketing
Awarded the 2007 Karen McGibbon Award of Excellence – Seymour Schulich Honorarium, recognizing outstanding effort and commitment in providing quality service at Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Web Designer (previously: Digital Imaging Specialist, Medical Photographer – Research) The Image Centre (1988 - 2005)
Design Consultant and Digital Imaging Specialist, moving into the area of graphic design for poster, publications and other areas of printed output and the development of New Media presentations for departments within the hospital. Recognized the need and then led department’s transition from analogue to New Media technology. He evaluated and recommend new technology, including digital imaging and output, the electronic darkroom, video and multimedia and maintain the necessary equipment. Maintained colour management of the systems in the department; supported computer graphic users technical and training needs and provide photomicroscopy training and consultation.
- King Fahad Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 1983 - 1985
Senior Medical Photographer Media Services, Staff Education
Built a functional bio-photography department. As acting Media Manager, he was responsible for a 4 person section which included Art, Video and AV production. Worked with the Instructional Developers to develop training programs for various departments. Set up a 4 year local hire apprenticeship program for photographers and worked with content matter experts to set up programs for other departments. Upon leaving Saudi Arabia, he spent time traveling in Europe and Asia and working as a freelance photographer before re-entering the workforce with Mount Sinai in 1988.
Selected Papers (platform & published)
- The Renaissance Human - Faith Science and Art in the Postmodern World. BIOCOMM 2017, BioCommunications Association, Portland OR. 2017
- Re-Branding your Organization: Successes and Lessons. BIOCOMM 2008, BioCommunications Association, Rochester NY. 2008
- Audio Techniques for Bio-Communicators. Fall Regional Meeting, BioCommunications Association, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY. 2000
- The Certified Bio-communications Professional, BIOCOMM ‘99, BioCommunications Association, Phoenix, AZ, 1999
- Audio Techniques for Bio-Communicators. (Half day workshop) BIOCOMM ‘98, BioCommunications Association,;Health Sciences Communications
- Association; Association of Biological Communications Directors, Portland, ME. 1998
- Don’t Call Them “Cheap Poster Titles”, BIOCOMM ‘97, Annual Meeting of the BPA, Reno, NV, 1997
- Using Graphx RasterPlus in a Service Bureau Environment, Fall Regional Meeting, Lake Ontario and Western New York Chapters, BPA, Toronto, Ont., 1996
- A Workshop on Computer Graphic Presentations and Presentation Packages, The Canadian Academy of Endodontics, Deerhurst Resort, Huntsville, Ont. 1993
- Comparison of Digital Versus Traditional Techniques for the Preparation of Composite Prints for Scientific Publication, Spring Regional Meeting, Lake Ontario Chapter, BPA, Queens University, Kingston, Ont., 1992
- Photography of Electrophoresis Gels. Meats et. Al, Journal of Biological Photography, Vol. 59-4:135-140, 1991
- Audio for Bio-Communicators, the Theory of Sound, Meats, Journal of Biocommunication, Vol 28-4: 2-4, 199X
- Photography of Electrophoresis Gels, Image ‘90, Annual Meeting, Biological Photographic Association, Phoenix, AZ, 1990
- An alternative to Diazochrome. Fall Regional Meeting, Lake Ontario Chapter, BPA, VICOM ‘89, Toronto, Ont., 1989
Diploma in Photography, Commercial Major, Fanshawe College, London, Ontario, 1975
Registered Biological Photographer (RBP), Biological Photographic Association (BPA), 1992
Certificate in Media & New Technology Management, School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto, 1999