Microscopy Core, Operations Manager (Dorris Neuroscience Center)
Scripps Research- Full Time
La Jolla, CA
A position is available to manage the Imaging Core in the Dorris Neuroscience Center at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, CA. The candidate will train, assist, and supervise users of high-end imaging equipment, including sample preparation, experimental design, and various imaging modalities (widefield, confocal, TIRF, super-resolution, dissection). The candidate will be responsible for software training, maintenance, and administration of the core, as well as creating macros for automated multi-dimensional acquisition. This person will maintain the Core imaging equipment in working condition, interfacing with vendor service personnel as needed. Computer administration skills are needed, but not necessarily programming skills. Knowledge of diverse image analysis software and appropriate ethical image manipulation strategies are required. The candidate will also support individual lab needs with their imaging equipment and maintain other core and lab equipment in working order, interfacing with service repair personnel as needed. Strong communication skills are necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Train users in confocal microscopy and other imaging modalities.
- Create and optimize automated multi-parameter acquisition macros (JOBS).
- Troubleshoot and maintain all microscopes in the Dorris Neuroscience Center.
- Assist in imaging/experimental design/image analysis.
- Maintain offline analysis computers and software.
- Clean microscopes and microscopy facilities.
- Coordinate with microscope service personnel for maintenance visits/training/service.
- Coordinate with IT for computer installation and troubleshooting.
- Miscellaneous support for the core and Dorris Neuroscience labs as needed.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been attained.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years’ experience.
- Candidates possessing a master’s degree, 3+ years’ experience required.
- Experience working with different types of microscopes and different imaging modalities.
- Experience training people in using microscopes and image analysis software.
- Must be highly organized, effective at multitasking, skilled at time management, and have excellent communication skills.
COMPENSATION: The expected hiring range for this position is $77,200 to $96,500 per year, commensurate with experience. Consideration will be given to experience that exceeds the listed requirements.
To apply or for more information click here.